English Country House Libraries (Page 11)

 

3565
Romantic Irish Homes; O'Byrne

A corner of the Library at Tullynally in County Westmeath, Ireland. The Library in the 17th-century house was created in the early nineteenth century and contains about 6,000 books. I like the old books, the oak bookcases and paneling, the deepset windows and the antique furnishings, including the telescope and ancestral portrait. This looks like the what it is, a room in a house filled with books purchased and loved by many generations of a family with literary inclinations.

**********************************************************************

3566
The English Country House; Miers

The Gothick Library at Milton Manor in Oxfordshire, England. The house was likely built in the 1660s, but the library wing was added in 1776 by Stephen Wright, a student of William Kent.

**********************************************************************

3567
The English Country House; Miers

The Study at Sandon Hall in Staffordshire, England. The house was built in a "Jacobethan" style in the 1850s by the Scottish architect, William Burn, to replace a late 18th-century house that had burnt in 1848. It was built for the 2nd Earl of Harrowby, whose study this is (he was the first nobleman to get a double first in classics and mathematics at Christ Church, so the books in his study were not simply for show). A fine Victorian-era study, with glass-front bookcases, a beautiful desk (made for the 1st Lord Harrowby by Chippendale), plaster busts and paintings, and many personal touches such as photographs, drawings and various collected items. (A photo of the Library at Sandon Hall is shown on English Country House Libraries, page 7.)

**********************************************************************

3568
The English Country House; Miers

The Library at The Chantry in Somerset, England. The house was built around 1826 for a family who made their wealth in iron toolmaking. The house was sold in 1927 and languished in a state of disrepair until it was purchased by author Anthony Powell in 1952. The library's most distinctive feature is the graphic 1950s wallpaper by Cole & Sons. Simple, modern, white bookshelves contrast with the portraits of Powell ancestors, the ornate moldings and the white marble fireplace surround embellished with rosettes and fasces.

**********************************************************************

3569
The English Country House; Miers

The Library at Oakly Park in Shropshire, England. The house, a 17th-century brick country house, was extensively remodeled around 1820 in the Greek revival style by Charles Robert Cockerell, friend to Robert Henry Clive, who had inherited Oakly Park in 1817. The two men shared a taste for the newly-rediscovered Ancient Greek arts, and Clive wished his home to reflect this. (Cockerell had just returned from his Grand Tour of the ancient world, upon which he participated in the discovery of the Aegina Marbles in 1811 and Phygalean Marbles at Bassae.) The Library was redone in 1822-23, and features recessed mahogany bookcases, a white marble fireplace surround and a Grecian frieze.

**********************************************************************

3570
The English Country House; Miers

The Library at Knepp Castle in Sussex, England. The house was built in Regency Gothic castle style by John Nash around 1808, was destroyed by fire in 1904, but was meticulously rebuilt to its original design. The present owner inherited it in 1985 and has redecorated it with 20th century art and furnishings. The library contains oak panelling, a modern carpet by Sandy Jones and paintings by Augustus John, Graham Sutherland and Lucian Freud.

next>>