English Country House Libraries (Page 13)

3581
conferences-uk.org.uk
britainsfinest.co.uk

The library at Knebworth House in Hertfordshire, England. The house was built in the 16th century by the Lytton family and the library is filled with the published works of the Victorian Edward Bulwer-Lytton, author of the words, "The pen is mightier than the sword". The episode of Poirot, "Three Act Tragedy," was filmed there in 2010.

**********************************************************************

3582
locationmanagers.org

The library at Englefield House in Berkshire, England. The house was likely built in the 15th century, but the library was probably designed in the 1770s, perhaps by James Wyatt. There is an ornate plaster ceiling, tall wood bookshelves with classical busts atop them and comfortable furnishings in a mixture of modern and antiques. The house is still privately-occupied and it is often used for film making. Scenes from "X-Men: First Class" and "The King's Speech" were filmed in the library.

**********************************************************************

3583
The Regency Country House; Robinson

The library at Tregothnan in Cornwall, England. The house was built in 1816 around an older house on the site, designed by architect William Wilkins, who combined his study of architecture with that of the study of antiquity. The library is the most impressive room in the house, with Grecian bookcases decorated with gilt wreaths modeled after the Choragic Monument of Thrasyllus, and a pedimented overmantel above the fireplace. The room was extended in the 1840s, shown by the Victorian style of bracketing the arch between the original and newer parts of the room. A beautiful library room.

**********************************************************************

3584
The Regency Country House; Robinson

The library at Doddington House in Gloucestershire, England. The house was built between 1796 and 1816 by architect James Wyatt. The library contains superb bookcases made by Perry & Co. of mahogany and ebony wood with glazed brass grilles and patent locks by Bramah.

**********************************************************************

3585
The Regency Country House; Robinson

The library at Willey Park, Shropshire. The house was built between 1812 and 1821 by architect James Wyatt. The library room consists of a large bow window, mirrored by a bow-shaped section of interior curved walls sporting curved, fitted bookcases of mahogany and brass. The curved ceiling is decorated in an Athenian motif in the Greco-Roman style.

**********************************************************************

3586
The Regency Country House; Robinson

The library at Ickworth in Suffolf, England. The main portion of the house is a round, Roman-style stone folly, completed in the 1820s. The library is the largest of the main rooms, filling the southern part of the rotunda.

**********************************************************************

3587
countrylifeimages.co.uk

The library at Luscombe Castle in Devon, England. The house was completed in 1804, designed by John Nash. In the original plan, the library was the principal living room, but in the mid-19th century, the rooms were re-organized and the original dining room was made into the library and the original bookcases with brass-latticed grills were moved there.

**********************************************************************

3588
The Regency Country House; Robinson

The living room/library at Sheringham in Norfolk, England. The house was built between 1812 and 1817 and was a relatively modest country house for family living, not for grand entertaining. The living room contained an informal library for everyday use and the bookcases were added in 1839.

**********************************************************************

3589
The Regency Country House; Robinson

The library at Belsay Hall in Northumberland, England. The house was built between 1810 and 1817 in perfect classical proportions, as was the library, the largest room in the house. It is lit from four tall windows on the south side of the building. Both the bookcases and the anthemion freize above are derived from the Erectheion on the Acropolis. The urns, busts and statuary atop the bookcases, as well as the Regency and modern furnishings, make this a pleasant room. Sadly however, the house is no longer occupied – the family live in another house on the estate and the house sits empty of furnishings, only minimally preserved by English Heritage and used primarily for art installations.

**********************************************************************

3590
The Regency Country House; Robinson

The library at Bignor Park in Sussex, England. The house was completed in 1828 with a library in Regency style, with pedimented bookcases that were grained to resemble oak. The estate was purchased by another family in 1926 and the library was simplified then (this photo was taken in the 1950s). The grandson of the purchasing family currently resides in the house and no modern interior photograph of the library could be found online. It is a lovely library, complete with requisite antique globe, Grecian urn and old volumes housed in bookcases labeled above with letters of the alphabet.

 

next>>