English Country House Libraries (page 8)

 

3542
longleat.co.uk
At Home with Books, Ellis, Seebohm

The Red Library at Longleat in Wiltshire, England. The Red Library, one of seven libraries at Longleat, is named after the color of the embossed wall coverings, and had previously been used as a family sitting room. The ceiling was designed by John Gregory Crace in 1878 and is heavily gilded and inset with copies of cameos painted on black linen. The Red Library contains 4,803 volumes, mainly purchases of the 4th Marquess of Bath. Also shown is the 1690s Bishop's Library, named so after Bishop Ken, who took shelter at Longleat after the Glorious Revolution and left his books to the family.

***************************************************************************

3543
flickr.com (Harewood House)

The libraries at Harewood House in Yorkshire, England. There are three libraries: The Old Library, original to the house designed by Robert Adam, in a color scheme of green, white and gray, with bookcases divided by Corinthian columns and surmounted by bronzed busts and paintings by Biagio Rebecca; the Library, known in the 18th century as the Saloon, with Victorian mahogany and brass-trimmed bookcases and original Adam ceiling, chimneypieces and plaster overmantels; and the 1840 Spanish Library, named after the wall-covering of red 17th- century Spanish leather (embossed and gilded leather imported from the Netherlands), which was converted from a Breakfast Room and has doors lined with fake book cases so that residents are completely enveloped with books.

***************************************************************************

3544
nlsopublog.blogspot.com

The library at Hopetoun House in Edinburgh, Scotland, which was built in 1699 and claims to be "Scotland's finest stately home."

***************************************************************************

3545
countrylifeimages.co.uk

The library at Shardeloes in Buckinghamshire, England. The house was built in 1758. The Library was first modified in 1763, when brickwork was cut away to enlarge recesses in Library in order to execute a design by Robert Adam. The other walls of the room were lined for two thirds of their height with white deal casings and wire panel doors showing the books behind. By 1775 the Library was again altered to designs of James Wyatt. He cut off the arches of Adam’s recesses and substituted a decorative scheme of painted panels with trompe l’oeil work. The mansion was turned into flats in the mid-20th century, and the house is owned by the flat occupants.

***************************************************************************

3546
chrisbeetles.com

The library at Daneway House in Gloucestershire, England, one of the oldest manor houses in that county. The photo was taken in 1960.

***************************************************************************

3547
maineantiquedigest.com

One of at least two libraries at Powderham Castle, with in the foreground a George II mahogany library table of circa 1750. The library was designed in the 18th century and the bookcases date from 1740.

***************************************************************************

3548
The English Country House; Miers

The library at Wrotham Park in Hertfordshire, England. The house was built in 1754 but was gutted by fire in 1887 and rebuilt to the original. The film Gosford Park and the series Jeeves and Wooster (Aunt Dahlia's Brinkley Court) were among several projects filmed there. It is still occupied by the descendants of the family that built it.

***************************************************************************

3549
life.com
wallpanelling.co.uk

Sir Robert Walpole's Library at Houghton Hall in Norfolk, England. It was designed by Colin Campbell around 1722.


next >>