Church Libraries (page 2)

6211
sjb2009.ethz.ch

The Monastery Library at Engelberg Abbey, Switzerland, founded in 1120. The abbey buildings were almost entirely destroyed by fire in 1729 but were rebuilt. The library, which is said to have contained over twenty thousand volumes and two hundred choice manuscripts, was unfortunately pillaged by the French in 1798, but the library has been replenished.

****************************************************************************

6212
flickr.com

The Library at Winchester Cathedral in Winchester, Hampshire, England. The cathedral's library contains over 4,000 books, including several illuminated manuscripts from the Middle Ages. Especially notable are Bishop Morley's 17th-century book collection and an exhibition room contains the 12th-century Winchester Bible. Jane Austin is buried at the cathedral.

****************************************************************************



6213
lessing-photo
booksnbuildings.tumblr.como.com

Library of the Abbey at Furstenzell, Germany.

****************************************************************************

6214
amandalithuania2009.com
travbuddy.com

The Monastery Library at Pannonhalma Archabbey in Hungary. The library was finished in the first third of the 19th century. On the four sides of the oval hall's ceiling the allegories of the four medieval university faculties can be seen: Law, Theology, Medicine and the Arts. 360,000 volumes are kept in the collection.

****************************************************************************

6215
hungarystartshere.com

Antal Reguly Heritage Library at the Zirc Abbey in Hungary. A collection of rarities gathered by Cistercian monks from the 1700's onwards is kept in this branch of the National Széchényi Library in the abbey. The 65,000 volume holdings include invaluable incunabula, rare books and periodicals. Made by the carpenters of the Wilde family of Zirc using trees from the Bakony Hills, the listed carved and inlay-decorated furnishings are especially noteworthy.

****************************************************************************

6216
superstock.com

Theological Library at the Kremsmunster Abbey in Austria. It was built between 1680 and 1689 by Carlo Antonio Carlone. It is one of the great libraries of Austria and contains about 160,000 volumes, besides 1,700 manuscripts and nearly 2,000 incunabulae. The most valuable book is the "Codex Millenarius", a Gospel Book written around 800 in Mondsee Abbey.

****************************************************************************

6217
danheller.com

The monastery library at Vyssi Brod, Czech Republic. The monastery was built in 1285 and the library was built around 1760. It contains 70,000 volumes and is accessed through a secret door in a bookcase in a small library hall.

****************************************************************************

6218          
renaissancelibrary.com

St Nikolaus-Hospital Library in Bernkastel-Kues, Germany, built in 1464.

****************************************************************************

6219
renaissancelibrary.com

Lambeth Palace Library in London, England. Lambeth Palace is the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The library, built in 1610, is the principal holder of records for the history of the Church of England. It contains over 120,000 books as well as the archives of the Archbishops of Canterbury and other church bodies dating back to the 12th century.

****************************************************************************

6220
oyster-eater.blogspot.com
waldsassen.de

The Abbey Library in Waldsassen, Germany. "The Library was completed in 1726 in late Baroque and early Rococo style. Ten life-sized statues, skilfully carved out of wood by Karl Stilp, carry the narrow gallery that encircles almost all of the Hall. The painting on the ceiling were created in 1724 by Karl Hofreiter (born in Bayreuth) and his assistants. The ornamental plaster work was created by Jacob Appiani and F P Marazzi. The library once possessed a number of precious books which were taken to public Archives during secularisation in 1803. Nowadays the shelves hold tomes, quartars and octans from the 17th and 18th centuries which are on public loan. The Library Hall is maintained by nuns of the Cistercian Sisterhood."

 

next>>